UNIT 2 REVIEW - Baptism and confirmation
Unit 1 Review - The Sacraments: God's Gifts of Life
Prayers, Beliefs and Practices to Be Introduced in Fifth Grade
The Stations of the Cross
1. Jesus is condemned to death.
2. Jesus accepts the cross.
3. Jesus falls the first time.
4. Jesus meets his mother.
5. Simon helps Jesus carry the cross.
6. Veronica wipes the face of Jesus.
7. Jesus falls the second time.
8. Jesus meets the women of Jerusalem.
9. Jesus falls the third time.
10. Jesus is stripped of his garments.
11. Jesus is nailed to the cross.
12. Jesus dies on the cross.
13. Jesus is taken down from the cross.
14. Jesus is buried in the tomb.
15. Jesus Christ is risen.
O Jesus, through the Immaculate Heart of Mary,
I offer you my prayers, works, joys and sufferings of this day for all the intentions of your Sacred Heart,
in union with the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass throughout the world,
for the salvation of souls, the reparation for sins, the reunion of all Christians,
and in particular for the intentions of the Holy Father this month. Amen.
Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary,
that never was it known that anyone who fled to thy protection,
implored thy help, or sought thy intercession, was left unaided.
Inspired by this confidence I fly unto thee,
O Virgin of virgins, my Mother.
To thee do I come, before thee I stand, sinful and sorrowful.
O Mother of the Word Incarnate,
despise not my petitions,
but in thy mercy hear and answer me.
Hail Holy Queen
Hail, Holy Queen, Mother of Mercy,
our life, our sweetness, and our hope.
To thee do we cry, poor banished children of Eve.
To thee do we send up our sighs, mourning and weeping in this valley of tears.
Turn then, most gracious advocate,
thine eyes of mercy toward us, and after this exile show unto us the blessed fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
O clement, O loving, O sweet Virgin Mary.
The Five Precepts of the Church
• You shall attend Mass on Sundays and holy days of obligation and remain free from work or activity that could impede the sanctification of such days.
• You shall confess your sins at least once a year.
• You shall receive the sacrament of the Eucharist at least during the Easter season.
• You shall observe the days of fasting and abstinence established by the Church.
• You shall help to provide for the needs of the Church.
Parts of the Mass
• Gathering Song
• Penitential Rite (or blessing and sprinkling with holy water)
• Glory to God
• Opening Prayer
Liturgy of the Word
• First Reading (usually from the Old Testament)
• Responsorial Psalm
• Second Reading (usually from one of the letters of the New Testament)
• Gospel Acclamation
• Homily (an explanation of the readings)
• Profession of Faith (Creed)
• General Intercessions (Prayers of the Faithful)
Liturgy of the Eucharist
• Preparation and presentation of the gifts
• Prayer over gifts
• Holy, Holy, Holy Lord
• Eucharistic Prayer (during this prayer the bread and wine become the Body and Blood of Jesus)
• The Great Amen
• Communion Rite
• The Lord’s Prayer
• Sign of Peace
• Breaking of the Bread
• Lamb of God
• Reception of Communion
• Prayer after Communion
Topics covered in class
The Sacraments: God's Gifts of Life
Baptism and Confirmation
Reconciliation and Anointing of the Sick
Holy Orders and Matrimony